Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 32 - July 1

Life Guard Station 26, Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 min. by two people
estimated trash collected today - 9.8
estimated trash collected to date - 191.2
Water Bottle of the Day - I think that will be an official title given to the photograph I plan on including in every entry of at least one of the water bottles I find. I find more than one every time. 
"One person's waste could be another persons treasure." - The Plastiki Website
David de Rothschild and the Plastiki Expedition are leaving this summer on a boat made of mostly plastic-one-time-use water bottles to explore the huge trash gyre that is in the middle of the Pacific. I've mentioned this before, but if you want to check out their website, it promises to be in 3D very soon!
The remnants of a child's pizza party. Estimated feet to next trash can - 40  
We collected the highest weight of trash today since I started. This includes the handful of times Garen has come out to help me. He had to stop collecting early because he ran out of plastic bags to fill and he physically could not hold any more. I stock at least 5 - 6 bags for collection in my kit that I carry out to the beach. We went through all of my reserves. I think this may be a sign of summer. I want to go to the beach on the 5th to see what I find. I think it may be a tough visit. 
Garen and I have been on vacation this week so I haven't collected as much as I normally do. I got discouraged today as we did some number crunching and I realized that this project will most likely take the next 2 - 3 years. I swear I hadn't considered that when I started. I will finish. I must, I couldn't forgive myself if I stopped. But damn, that is going to be a lot of plastic bottle and sunset photographs. What am I going to write? Instead of fear, I'll look at this as an adventure. Who knows what the next few years hold for any of us. And if I'm right, I predict I will have picked up approximately a ton of trash by the time it is over. That's a cool thought. Although, it would be better if there wasn't a ton of trash to pick up in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment